Happy New Year! Since it’s 2019 and season 9 starts soon, we’re now in the 9.x patch cycle. It’s time for more League of Legends.
9.1 has big changes for three champions that are constantly in weird places: Kalista, Ornn and Sejuani. Kalista is getting general stat and skill damage buffs in exchange for the removal of her W’s passive, which let her do more damage when her Oathsworn partner was around. Ornn is getting buffs to his base stats and to his item upgrades and his shop is disappearing entirely. Sejuani is getting a bunch of tweaks, mainly buffs, but her Permafrost is getting a nerf to its crowd control.)
A bunch of other champions are getting smaller scaled tweaks to their ratios and stats, including Nasus who now gains a whopping 12 stacks per big minion or monster. Is it time to jungle with the dog?
Blood Moon Sivir, Pyke and Aatrox are also releasing this patch, with a Prestige skin coming for Aatrox. It’s unknown as of writing this how Aatrox will be unlocked.
As usual, you can check our Riot’s full notes here and our tl;dr here.
Kalista, Ornn & Sejuani
Base AD, AD growth, attack speed growth increased; W Oathsworn AD bonus removed. Q damage increased. E deals less damage to epic monsters.
BASE ATTACK DAMAGE :: 62 >>> 67
ATTACK DAMAGE GROWTH :: 3.6 >>> 4
ATTACK SPEED GROWTH :: 3.5% >>> 4%
Q - Pierce
BASE DAMAGE :: 10/70/130/190/250 >>> 20/85/150/215/280
W - Sentinel
[REM] OATHSWORN EMPOWERMENT :: Kalista no longer gains 5/10/15/20/25 attack damage while her Oathsworn is nearby
E - Rend
[NEW] WEAK GRIP :: Rend now deals 50% damage to epic monsters
Base durability increased. Ornn’s items upgrade at level 13 (2 max); he can upgrade one ally’s item per level at level 14+. More upgrades added. Q cost, damage, slow decreased. W doesn’t shield but makes Ornn unstoppable. R slow, knockup decreased.
HEALTH GROWTH :: 90 >>> 95
BASE HEALTH REGEN :: 1.4 >>> 1.8
HEALTH REGEN GROWTH :: 0.14 >>> 0.18
ARMOR GROWTH :: 3 >>> 4
BASE ATTACK DAMAGE :: 67 >>> 69
Passive - Living Forge
[NEW] CALLOUSED HANDS :: Ornn now gains 10% additional armor and magic resist from items
[NEW] TRADE KNOWLEDGE :: At level 13, any upgradable item Ornn owns or purchases for the rest of the game is upgraded for free (Ornn can have up to two upgraded items)
[NEW] BENEFACTOR :: At each level from 14 onward, Ornn can upgrade one of his ally’s upgradable items by getting within 600 range of them and clicking on them (allies can only have one upgraded item)
[REM] PURCHASE ORDER :: Ornn and his allies can no longer pay to upgrade their items
[NEW] ITEMS :: Ornn can upgrade new items! Bonuses listed below:
ARMOR :: 65 >>> 95
MANA :: 500 >>> 700
ATTACK DAMAGE :: 55 >>> 75
LETHALITY :: 18 >>> 25
Might of the Ruined King
ATTACK DAMAGE :: 40 >>> 55
ATTACK SPEED :: 25% >>> 40%
ABILITY POWER :: 90 >>> 120
MANA :: 600 >>> 850
Q - Volcanic Rupture
COST :: 55 mana >>> 45 mana
BASE DAMAGE :: 20/50/80/110/140 >>> 20/45/70/95/120
SLOW :: 40/45/50/55/60% >>> 40% at all ranks
W - Bellows Breath
[REM] SHIELD :: No longer shields Ornn for 80/125/170/215/260 (+0.4 bonus armor)(+0.4 bonus magic resist)
[NEW] UNSTOPPABLE :: Ornn is now unstoppable during W
COOLDOWN :: 14 seconds >>> 12 seconds
DURATION :: 1 second (ticks every 0.2 seconds ) >>> 0.75 seconds (ticks every 0.15 seconds)
SELF-SLOW :: 50% >>> 35%
BRITTLE PROC DAMAGE :: 7%-12% target’s maximum health (levels 1-18) >>> 12%-20.5% target’s maximum health (levels 1-18)
E - Searing Charge
COST :: 50 mana at all ranks >>> 35/40/45/50/55 mana
[NEW] JUST A LITTLE LONGER :: If a Q pillar is about to expire when Ornn casts E, it now lasts until Ornn’s dash completes
R - Call of the Forge God
FIRST CAST SLOW :: 40/60/80% >>> 10% scaling up to 40/60/80% based on distance traveled
SECOND CAST KNOCKUP :: 1.5 seconds on all enemies hit >>> 1 second on the first enemy hit, 0.5 seconds on enemies hit past the first
Base durability increased. Passive grants fewer stats but lasts longer. Q damage increased. W2 damage increased but slow falls off immediately. E deals more damage but range and stun decreased.
HEALTH GROWTH :: 88 >>> 105
BASE ARMOR :: 31 >>> 34
ARMOR GROWTH :: 3 >>> 4.25
BASE MAGIC RESIST :: 27.1 >>> 32.1
MAGIC RESIST GROWTH :: 0.75 >>> 1.25
ATTACK DAMAGE GROWTH :: 3 >>> 4
Passive - Fury of the North
FROST ARMOR RESISTANCES :: 20/70/120 armor and magic resist (+100% total armor and magic resist) >>> 20 armor and magic resist (+25% bonus armor and magic resist)
FROST ARMOR LINGER :: 2 seconds >>> 3 seconds
Q - Arctic Assault
BASE DAMAGE :: 60/90/120/150/180 >>> 80/120/160/200/240
W - Winter’s Wrath
SECOND HIT BASE DAMAGE :: 30/65/100/135/170 >>> 30/70/110/150/190
SECOND HIT SLOW DURATION :: Normalized to 0.25 seconds (previously, could last slightly longer depending on server timing)
E - Permafrost
STUN DURATION :: 1/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 seconds >>> 1 second at all ranks
RANGE :: 850 >>> 600
DAMAGE :: 20/35/50/65/80 >>> 40/80/120/160/200 (Icebreaker damage upon shattering a stunned target unchanged)
E grants assists if enemies were previously unseen.
Q - Ranger’s Focus
HEY! :: Ability icon border now flashes when Q is castable at max stacks
E - Hawkshot
I HELPED :: Ashe now gains assist credit if a previously-unseen enemy is killed within 10 seconds of being revealed by Hawkshot
W cast time now scales with attack speed.
W - Zap!
CAST TIME :: 0.6 seconds >>> 0.6 - 0.4 seconds, based on attack speed (caps at 250% bonus attack speed, including bonus from Switcheroo!)
Q+E combo can now be buffered.
E - Acceleration Gate
BUFFERING :: If Jayce casts Acceleration Gate during Shock Blast’s cast time, he’ll now ignore movement commands until both abilities have been cast
E teleports immediately; cast time now entirely post-teleport. Hextech Gunblade’s active can be buffered.
E - Shunpo
CAST TIME :: 0.075 seconds before teleporting and 0.075 seconds after teleporting >>> 0.15 seconds after teleporting (Katarina now teleports immediately upon pressing E)
BUFFERING :: Katarina can now buffer Hextech Gunblade’s active to fire after Shunpo’s cast time completes
Q stacks from large kills increased.
Q - Siphoning Strike
LARGE KILL STACKS :: 6 per champion, large minion, or large monster kill >>> 12 per champion, large minion, or large monster kill
Champion hits don’t reduce Q’s damage.
Q - Boomerang Blade
DAMAGE FALLOFF :: Hitting an enemy champion no longer decreases Boomerang Blade’s damage against subsequent targets (tooltip will be updated in 9.2)
Q cooldown reduced while R is active.
R - Final Hour
[NEW] KEEP ROLLIN :: Tumble’s cooldown is reduced by 50% while Final Hour is active (reminder: Tumble’s cooldown doesn’t start until Vayne fires the empowered attack)
E root duration increased.
E - Bladecaller
ROOT DURATION :: 1 second >>> 1.25 seconds
Q+W and E+W combos can now be buffered.
W - Rampant Growth
BUFFERING :: If Zyra casts Rampant Growth during Deadly Spines’ or Grasping Roots’ cast times, she’ll now ignore movement commands until both abilities have been cast
Unenchanted jungle items reduce gold received from minions if their owner has too much minion gold.
MONSTER HUNTER :: Hunter’s Machete, Hunter’s Talisman, unenchanted Stalker’s Blade, and unenchanted Skirmisher’s Sabre now reduce minion gold earned by 10 per minion if their owner’s gold from minions is greater than half their gold from monsters
Hail of Blades
Attack speed bonus higher early; lower late. Attack resets no longer consume a stack.
ATTACK SPEED BONUS :: 75-125% (levels 1-18) >>> 110% at all levels
[NEW] HAILSTORM :: Attacks that benefit from an attack reset (ex. Jax’s W - Empower) no longer consume a Hail of Blades stack
Attack speed rune stat increased.
ATTACK SPEED RUNE STAT :: 9% >>> 10%
Movement speed bonus multiplier increased.
MOVEMENT SPEED BONUS MULTIPLIER :: 8% >>> 10%
DAMAGE :: 4-21 (levels 1-18) >>> 5-30 (levels 1-18)
Local gold proximity radius on turret takedown increased. Additional radius for assists added.
ASSIST RADIUS :: Champions within 2500 range who assisted in a turret takedown now also count toward local turret gold distribution (including first turret bonus)
PROXIMITY RADIUS :: Champions within ||| 1000 >>> 1200 range of a turret are counted toward local turret gold distribution whether they assisted in the takedown or not
FUN FACT :: Turret plating already worked like this!
REMINDER :: Unlike champion takedowns, there’s no “assist gold” pool created when a turret falls. Local gold is split evenly among eligible allies regardless of who got the takedown.
Ability Ping Improvements
Pinging these abilities will now let your team know which targets are in range!
- Galio’s R - Hero’s Entrance
- Nocturne’s R - Paranoia
- Pantheon’s R - Grand Skyfall
- Yasuo’s R - Last Breath
- Caitlyn’s R - Ace in the Hole
- Lux’s R - Final Spark
- Twisted Fate’s R2 - Gate
- Jhin’s W - Deadly Flourish and R - Curtain Call
- Ziggs’ R - Mega Inferno Bomb
- Xerath’s R - Rite of the Arcane
Abilities with Detailed Information
These frequently requested ping improvements give teammates more relevant information.
- Draven’s Passive - Adoration: Current stacks
- Heimerdinger’s Q - H-28G Evolution Turret: Number of turrets available or time until next turret if none are available
- Kassadin’s R - Riftwalk: Time until stacks expire if Kassadin is unable to cast Riftwalk due to having too many stacks
- Kayn’s Passive - The Darkin Scythe: Time until other form is available if Kayn’s already unlocked a form
- Kog’Maw’s R - Living Artillery: Time until stacks expire if Kog’Maw is unable to cast Living Artillery due to having too many stacks
- Mordekaiser’s R - Children of the Grave: Remaining ghost duration
- Nasus’s Q - Siphoning Strike: Current stacks
- Soraka’s W - Astral Infusion: Now indicates when Soraka is unable to cast Astral Infusion due to having too little health
- Veigar’s Passive - Phenomenal Evil Power: Current stacks
- Smite, Challenging Smite & Chilling Smite: Amount of damage dealt to monsters
Ability Icon HUD
We’re improving the way the HUD communicates remaining duration for a bunch of abilities, which were previously tracked only via the little icons in your buff bar. The breakdown below was based more on what felt right than on immutable rules, but let us know if there are other abilities you think should get this treatment!
Remaining duration bar
- Alistar’s E - Trample and R - Unbreakable Will
- Braum’s E - Unbreakable
- Corki’s E - Gatling Gun
- Dr. Mundo’s R - Sadism
- Illaoi’s R - Leap of Faith
- Jax’s R - Grandmaster’s Might
- Karthus’s Passive - Death Defied
- Kayle’s E - Righteous Fury
- Master Yi’s R - Highlander
- Miss Fortune’s W - Strut
- Mordekaiser’s R - Children of the Grave ghost duration
- Nasus’ R - Fury of the Sands
- Olaf’s W - Vicious Strikes and R - Ragnarok
- Rammus’ Q - Powerball, W - Defensive Ball Curl, and R - Tremors
- Renekton’s R - Dominus
- Rengar’s R - Thrill of the Hunt
- Shyvana’s W - Burnout
- Singed’s R - Insanity Potion
- Sivir’s R - On the Hunt
- Tristana’s Q - Rapid Fire
- Tryndamere’s R - Undying Rage
- Twitch’s Q - Ambush and R - Spray and Pray
- Vayne’s Q - Tumble empowered attack window and R - Final Hour duration
- Viktor’s R - Chaos Storm
- Volibear’s R - Thunder Claws
Time to recast border
- Garen’s Q - Decisive Strike empowered attack window and movement speed
- Gragas’s Q - Barrel Roll
- Kassadin’s W - Nether Blade empowered attack window
- Kha’Zix’s R - Void Assault
- LeBlanc’s W - Distortion and R - Mimic’d Distortion return window
- Lux’s E - Lucent Singularity
- Nasus’ Q - Siphoning Strike empowered attack window
- Renekton’s E2 - Dice
- Riven’s R2 - Wind Slash
- Twisted Fate’s W - Pick a Card and R2 - Destiny
- Volibear’s Q - Rolling Thunder empowered attack window and movement speed
- Yasuo’s Q2 - Steel Tempest
- Zed’s W - Living Shadow and R - Death Mark return window
- Neeko’s minimap and announcement banner icons no longer gets stuck for enemies as the ally she transformed into if her Passive - Inherent Glamour breaks in fog of war
- Varus’ E - Hail of Arrows slow zone VFX no longer fail to appear if Varus cast Hail of Arrows from fog of war
- Sterak’s Gage’s tooltip now shows the exact amount of damage required to trigger its shield as well as the exact shield granted
- Jarvan IV’s Passive - Martial Cadence no longer deals damage through Pantheon’s Passive - Aegis Protection
- Death’s Dance no longer grants Urgot an excessive amount of healing against Tryndamere’s R - Undying Rage or Anivia’s Passive - Rebirth
- Rengar’s hands once again glow when he reaches maximum Ferocity
- Fixed Q - Savagery activation and trail VFX for base, SSW, Headhunter, and Night Hunter Rengar
- Fixed Empowered Q - Savagery stab splash VFX for base, SSW, Headhunter, and Night Hunter Rengar
- Fixed R - Thrill of the Hunt activation VFX for Headhunter and Night Hunter Rengar
- Rengar’s target once again glows during R - Thrill of the Hunt for base, SSW, Headhunter, and Night Hunter Rengar
- Zombie Brand’s VO lines no longer overlap
- Battle Boss Ziggs’ R - Mega Inferno Bomb no longer uses classic VFX for long-range casts
- Fixed an issue where Ranked Armor would occasionally appear blurry at some resolutions
- Fixed summoner icons not being properly centered in Ranked Armor
- Fixed the “Add Friend” button overlapping with the game header in lobby when looking for a match
- Fixed Ranked Armor hiding the speech indication from League Voice when looking for a match: The armor’s faceplate will now be backlit when players are speaking
Upcoming Skins & Chromas
The following skins will be released this patch:
- Blood Moon Pyke
- Blood Moon Sivir
- Blood Moon Aatrox
- Blood Moon Aatrox Prestige Edition
The following chromas will be released this patch:
- Blood Moon Pyke
- Blood Moon Sivir