Patch 8.8 is here and as part of Riot’s rotating big patch/small patch schedule, it’s a big one. We’re seeing tons of balance changes as usual, but we’re also getting kit updates for two mages: LeBlanc and Ahri.
This patch doesn’t have as many huge changes as we might be used to seeing in preparation for the big midseason update. Regardless, lots of champions got tuned up, so make sure to skim through to make sure your favorites didn’t get hit with the nerf bat.
You should also note that Sweeping Lens no longer exists and Oracle’s Alteration is your new permanent friend for getting rid of pesky wards. Don’t be shocked when you see that in the shop!
We’re only getting one full skin this patch, but that’s OK because it’s Conqueror Varus! There hasn’t been a formal announcement from Riot yet, but based on last year’s Conqueror Karma, we can guess that Varus’ proceeds will go towards the Mid-Season Invitational prize pool for 2018. Exciting!
If chromas are more of your thing, Badlands Baron Rumble is going to be available in a plethora of sweet colors.
UPDATED Passive - Mirror Image
WHAT IS OLD IS NEW AGAIN When LeBlanc drops below 40% health, she becomes invisible for 1 second and creates a Mirror Image that deals no damage and lasts for up to 8 seconds
BUGFIX Fixed a bug where an attack launched by the clone from Passive - Mirror Image could deal damage if the clone died before that basic attack landed. Funny story, we had this bugfix ready to go when we initially reworked LeBlanc, but there was no need to ship it because that ability no longer existed. So now we’re finally shipping it!
Q - Sigil of Malice
NAME Shatter Orb ⇒ Sigil of Malice
[NEW] SIGIL OF MALICE Applies a mark to the target. Damaging the marked target with an ability detonates the mark to deal additional damage.
ORB BASE DAMAGE 55/90/125/160/195 (unchanged)
ORB DAMAGE RATIO 0.5 ability power ⇒ 0.4 ability power
MARK BASE DAMAGE 55/80/105/130/155
MARK DAMAGE RATIO 0.4 ability power
COST 40/45/50/55/60 mana ⇒ 50/60/70/80/90 mana
W - Distortion
BASE DAMAGE 40/55/70/85/100 ⇒ 85/125/165/205/245
DAMAGE RATIO 0.2 ability power ⇒ 0.6 ability power
COOLDOWN 18/16/14/12/10 seconds ⇒ 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
SPEED 1600 ⇒ 1450
REACTIVATION DELAY 0.85 seconds from initial cast ⇒ 0.2 seconds from finishing dash
E - Ethereal Chains
LATCH-ON BASE DAMAGE 40/60/80/100/120 (unchanged)
LATCH-ON DAMAGE RATIO 0.5 ability power ⇒ 0.3 ability power
ROOT BASE DAMAGE 40/60/80/100/120 ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180
ROOT DAMAGE RATIO 0.5 ability power ⇒ 0.7 ability power
COST 40 mana ⇒ 70 mana
TETHER RANGE 885 ⇒ 865
UPDATED R - Mimic
MIMIC Casts LeBlanc’s most recently cast spell upon pressing R
RQ ORB BASE DAMAGE 70/140/210
RQ ORB DAMAGE RATIO 0.4 ability power
RQ MARK BASE DAMAGE 140/280/420
RQ MARK DAMAGE RATIO 0.8 ability power
RW BASE DAMAGE 150/300/450
RW DAMAGE RATIO 0.75 ability power
RE LATCH-ON BASE DAMAGE 70/140/210
RE LATCH-ON DAMAGE RATIO 0.4 ability power
RE ROOT BASE DAMAGE 140/280/420
RE ROOT DAMAGE RATIO 0.8 ability power
E now amplifies Ahri’s subsequent damage on the target it strikes. R and E base damage decreased. R damage ratio increased. Q no longer grants movement speed. W prioritizes targets Ahri has recently charmed or basic attacked.
UPDATED Passive - Vastayan Grace
VASTAYAN GRACE If Ahri earns 2 spell hits against an enemy champion within a 1.5 second period, she gains 20% movement speed for 3 seconds (9 second cooldown)
Q - Orb of Deception
[REMOVED] NOT SO FAST No longer grants movement speed
[NEW] THREE THREE HIT COMBO If Ahri earns 9 spell hits (max 3 per cast), she gains Essence Theft, causing her next Q cast that lands to restore 3/5/9/18 (at levels 1/6/11/16) health for each enemy hit.
W - Fox-Fire
COST 50 mana ⇒ 40 mana
[NEW] FOX’S CUNNING Fox-Fire prioritizes any enemy champion affected by Charm’s damage amp and the target Ahri most recently basic-attacked within the past 3 seconds
RANGE VS PRIORITY TARGETS 725 (range vs non-priority targets unchanged at 700)
DELAY FOR NON-PRIORITY TARGETING 0.25 seconds ⇒ 0.4 seconds (delay vs priority targets unchanged at 0.25 seconds)
E - Charm
BASE DAMAGE 60/95/130/165/200 ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180
DAMAGE RATIO 0.60 ability power ⇒ 0.40 ability power
[NEW] HERE IT COMES When Charm damages a champion, Ahri’s abilities deal 20% more damage to them for 5 seconds
R - Spirit Rush
BASE DAMAGE 70/110/150 ⇒ 60/90/120
DAMAGE RATIO 0.25 ability power ⇒ 0.35 ability power
Base armor increased. Q damage to minions increased. R cooldown increased. R damage (missile and wall) decreased, especially at later ranks.
BASE ARMOR 31 ⇒ 34
Q - Bladesurge
DAMAGE TO MINIONS 60% ⇒ 70%
E - Flawless Duet
BUGFIX No longer credits Irelia for several minion kills with each cast
R - Vanguard’s Edge
COOLDOWN 120/105/90 seconds ⇒ 140/120/100 seconds
MISSILE DAMAGE 150/275/400 ⇒ 125/225/325
WALL DAMAGE 125/200/275 ⇒ 75/125/175
Soldier damage to non-primary targets decreased at earlier levels.
W - Arise!
DAMAGE TO NONPRIMARY TARGETS 40/70/100% (at levels 1/6/11) ⇒ 25/50/75/100% at (at levels 1/6/11/16)
Armor growth decreased. W bonus resistances decreased.
ARMOR GROWTH 4.5 ⇒ 4
W - Stand Behind Me
RESISTANCES GRANTED 17.5/20/22.5/25/27.5 ⇒ 10/14/18/22/26
STAND AT ATTENTION Bonus resistances are now applied more responsively
R cooldown increased.
R - Hero’s Entrance
COOLDOWN 180/150/120 seconds ⇒ 200/180/160 seconds
Health growth increased. R cooldown decreased.
HEALTH GROWTH 84 ⇒ 92
R - Collateral Damage
COOLDOWN 120/100/80 ⇒ 110/85/60
Movement speed decreased. W damage decreased.
MOVEMENT SPEED 320 ⇒ 315
W - Zephyr
BASE DAMAGE 60/105/150/195/240 ⇒ 55/100/145/190/235
Health regen and health regen growth decreased. Q damage ratio decreased.
BASE HEALTH REGEN 6.2 ⇒ 5.2
HEALTH REGEN GROWTH 0.75 ⇒ 0.55
Q - Icathian Rain
DAMAGE RATIO 0.4 bonus attack damage ⇒ 0.35 bonus attack damage
6 MISSILE DAMAGE RATIO 1.0 bonus attack damage ⇒ 0.875 bonus attack damage
12 MISSILE DAMAGE RATIO 1.72 bonus attack damage ⇒ 1.505 bonus attack damage
Q mana cost decreased. R cooldown decreased at earlier ranks.
Q - Ice Shard
COST 85 mana ⇒ 75 mana
R - Frozen Tomb
COOLDOWN 130/105/80 seconds ⇒ 120/100/80 seconds
Mana increased. Attack damage increased. Q cooldown decreased at earlier ranks.
BASE MANA 334 ⇒ 400
BASE ATTACK DAMAGE 57.54 ⇒ 61
Q - Dredge Line
COOLDOWN 18/16/14/12/10 seconds ⇒ 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
E mana cost increased at early ranks.
E - Spell Flux
COST 40/55/70/85/100 mana ⇒ 60/70/80/90/100 mana
Q damage ratio decreased at earlier ranks.
Q - Decimating Smash
BASE DAMAGE 20/40/60/80/100 ⇒ 30/47.5/65/82.5/100
DAMAGE RATIO 0.65 total attack damage ⇒ 0.45/0.5/0.55/0.6/0.65 total attack damage
FULL CHARGE DAMAGE 1.95 total attack damage ⇒ 1.35/1.5/1.65/1.8/1.95 total attack damage
E health restore decreased. W no longer grants Tahm Kench movement speed while moving towards enemy champions with a friend in his belly.
W - Devour
[REMOVED] NO MORE FAST FOOD Tahm Kench no longer gains movement speed while moving towards enemy champions with a friend in his belly
E - Thick Skin
% GREY HEALTH RESTORED OVER TIME 25/30/35/40/45% ⇒ 15/20/25/30/35%
Base health decreased. Q Cooldown increased at earlier ranks.
HEALTH 532 ⇒ 502
Q - Threaded Volley
COOLDOWN 9/7.5/6/5.5/3 seconds ⇒ 11/9/7/5/3 seconds
W on-hit damage decreased. W now has an active which empowers Varus’ next Q to deal bonus damage.
Passive - Living Vengeance
BONUS ATTACK SPEED ON CHAMPION KILL 50% ⇒ 30%
BONUS ATTACK SPEED ON MINION KILL 25% ⇒ 15%
W - Blighted Quiver
ON-HIT DAMAGE 10/14/18/22/26 ⇒ 5/9/13/17/21
[NEW] ACTIVE Varus’ next Q - Piercing Arrow deals additional damage equal to 6/7/8/9/10% of the target’s missing HP. Damage is increased by up to 50% (to 9/10.5/12/13.5/15%) based on charge time.
Base armor decreased. Armor growth increased. Health regen and health regen growth increased. Passive and Q cooldowns decreased at early levels. E mana cost decreased.
BASE ARMOR 35 ⇒ 30
ARMOR GROWTH 3.5 ⇒ 4
BASE HEALTH REGEN 9 ⇒ 10
HEALTH REGEN GROWTH 0.9 ⇒ 1
Passive - Blast Shield
COOLDOWN 16-8 seconds (at levels 1-9) ⇒ 12-8 seconds (at levels 1-9)
Q - Vault Breaker
COOLDOWN 16/14/12/10/8 seconds ⇒ 12/11/10/9/8 seconds
E - Excessive Force
COST 40/45/50/55/60 mana ⇒ 26/32/38/44/50 mana
Base health regen decreased. Base attack damage decreased.
BASE HEALTH REGEN 6 ⇒ 5
Passive - Clean Cuts
PASS THROUGH DAMAGE 50% ⇒ 30/40/50% (at levels 1/7/13)
Passive - Fury of the Xer’Sai
[UPDATED] HANGRY Rek’Sai’s fury no longer decays from being out of combat while she is consuming it for burrowed regeneration
[UPDATED] TIMELY Rek’Sai’s out of combat fury decay now begins precisely at 8 seconds (as opposed to 8-9 seconds)
E - Nevermove
[UPDATED] NO RUSH Now only gives one stack for Phase Rush purposes
Mana-to-ability-power conversion decreased.
MANA TO ABILITY POWER CONVERSION 3% ⇒ 1% (unchanged on Seraph’s Embrace)
Attack speed bonus increased.
ATTACK SPEED 30-80% (at levels 1-18) ⇒ 40-110% (at levels 1-18)
BUGFIX Fixed a bug where a VFX box appeared when a soul was dropped on the ground
BUGFIX Fixed a bug where, if multiple players took Dark Harvest, only one of them could see the soul glow on units that will drop Dark Harvest Souls
BUGFIX On ARAM, tooltip now properly indicates that champion souls are worth less soul essence
Sweeping Lens removed. Oracle Alteration now available at level 1. Swapping trinkets now retains the same percentage cooldown as the previous one.
REMOVED Sweeping Lens
SOLD OUT Sweeping Lens is no longer available in the store
LEVEL REQUIREMENT 9 ⇒ 1
Trinket Swap Rules
SAME COOLDOWN Swapping from one trinket to another now retains the same percentage cooldown as the previous one, rather than resetting to a 120 second cooldown
Homestart buff is granted by fountain until slightly later in the game. Homestart now begins to fall off at outer turrets, not the river.
FOUNTAIN GRANTS HOMESTART BUFF UNTIL 35 seconds into the game ⇒ 55 seconds into the game
REMOVEDCOLD FEET Homestart buff no longer falls off instantly after crossing the river line
NO PLACE LIKE HOME : Homestart buff rapidly decays over 0.75 seconds after crossing the outer turret line
- Fixed another way where Warwick’s Q could double-cast. We’re pretty sure it’s the last one.
- Cannon minion gold value now correctly scales past 87 gold
- Clones can now correctly be feared by Volibear’s Majestic Roar
- Fixed a bug where Tiamat counted towards procs for Electrocute or Phase Rush.
- Snow Fawn Poppy’s recall and spell SFX have been restored and no longer use base SFX
- Seams have been minimized on Pool Party Graves and all of his chromas when on lower graphics settings
- Seams have been minimized on Renektoy chromas when on lower graphics settings
- Seams have been minimized on Arcade Miss Fortune chromas when on lower graphics settings
- Texture compression is now more consistent across Darius’ chroma pack
- Sandstorm Ekko’s hourglass and Chrono Blade are now better attached to his model during all of his animations
- The orb during Reaper Soraka’s Recall has been restored
- Santa Draven’s Q - Spinning Axe landing location’s particles are no longer overlapped by on-ground area of effect abilities’ particles
- Pool Party Lulu’s Pix attack projectiles are no longer missing their trail particles
- Nightbringer Yasuo’s and PROJECT: Yasuo’s Q - Steel Tempest ground particle no longer clips into the ground on elevation change
- Iron Solari Leona’s R - Solar Flare decal will no longer be improperly rotated on lower graphics settings
- Q - Light Binding for Elementalist Lux no longer fade out prematurely when compared to other Lux skins
- Dreadnova Darius’ idle VFX have been restored
- Particles during Woad King Darius and Dunkmaster Darius’ critical attacks are no longer misplaced
- Unique particles have been restored for Cosmic Reaver Kassadin’s Auto Attack on-hits and W - Nether Blade
- Unique particles have been restored for all of Conqueror Karma’s spells
- Blood Moon Twisted Fate’s Recall animation no longer has missing pixels
- The catling that Meowkai holds in his hand has been found and safely returned to him!
- Snow Day Graves’ eyes now properly follow his head’s movement during all animations
- Nami’s laugh VFX once again play properly when emote is used
- Leprechaun Veigar’s W - Dark Matter VFX once again have rainbows!
- Star Guardian Soraka’s homeguard VFX once again properly overlay the champion’s model
- Freljord Taliyah once again has basic attack on-hit VFX when hitting structures and jungle monsters
- SKT T1 Ryze’s crowd cheers have been restored in his Recall animation
- Shiny VFX are no longer missing on Ashen Lord Aurelion Sol’s sunglasses during his joke animation
- Secret Agent Xin Zhao’s recall SFX have been restored
- SKT T1 Ekko is no longer missing VFX during his joke, taunt, dance, and death
- Steel Legion Garen’s Villain Mark is now at the same height when comparing it to enemy and ally perspectives
- Battle Bozz Malzahar’s recall VFX have been restored
- Lancer Paragon Blitzcrank / Lancer Rogue Blitzcrank’s Recall is no longer missing lightning effects VFX
- Astronautilus’ helmet VFX no longer linger after W - Titan’s Wrath has expired
Upcoming Skins & Chromas
The following skins will be released in patch 8.8:
- Conqueror Varus
The following chromas will be released in patch 8.8:
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Ruby)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Meteorite)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Turquoise)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Pearl)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Rose Quartz)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Obsidian)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Catseye)
- Badlands Baron Rumble (Emerald)
Fixed a bug that was causing gemstones to drop 5% more often than intended.