The playoffs in North America, Europe, China, Korea and Taiwan aren't the only major League of Legends events going on this weekend. The 2016 International Wildcard Invitational kicks off in Mexico City from the Palacio de los Deportes, running from April 16 through April 23.
The winner of the tournament will qualify for the 2016 Mid-Season Invitational, along with representatives from the five major regions listed above. All matches will take place on Patch 6.7.
How does it work?
The tournament will being with a four-day round robin, with each team playing two games on three of the days and one game on the other. By the end of the four days, every team will have played each other once. The top four teams in the standings will advance to the playoff round and fight for the spot at MSI, playing in best-of-five series.
Who is participating?
Eight teams were invited to IWC:
- INTZ e-Sports, the winner of Brazil's 2016 CBLOL Summer Split
- Hard Random, the winner of Russia's 2016 LCL Spring Split
- DetonatioN FM, the winner of Japan's 2016 LJL Spring Split
- Lyon Gaming, the winner of Latin America North's 2016 LAN Opening Cup
- Isurus Gaming, the winner of Latin America South's 2016 LAS Opening Cup
- Chiefs, the winner of Oceania's 2016 OPL Split 1
- Saigon Jokers, the winners of Southeast Asia's 2016 GPL Spring Split
- SuperMassive, the winners of Turkey's 2016 TCL Winter Split
Who are the favorites?
Historically, Brazil, Turkey and Southeast Asia have had the most success at tournaments like this. Hard Random and Chiefs could also make a run, while Japan's league is steadily improving.